Saturday, May 2, 2009

Are You A Twitter Quitter?

Cartoon created by Steve Hearn

"To Twit or to Quit Twit, that is the question."



I have mixed feeling about Twitter.

Twitter is the free Internet-based service that allows people to follow the 140-character messages or "tweets" of friends and celebrities which could be sent to computer screens or mobile devices and in turn send their own instant thoughts to those same people and more who follow them. It's basically short text messaging that goes out to many at once.


I was told by many friends that I was stuck on stupid in the stone-age and just had to start using Twitter to get into the real new world. I took a very good class on Twitter and set out to share my goings-on with the waiting world. I was told that I should strive to get as many people following me and I in turn should follow them and read their 140 character impulsive thoughts because they would be reading mine.

I also read that using Twitter could help my business grow if people get to know and like me.

So I started "tweeting" but could not bring myself to confess to total strangers that, as a successful businessman, I had time to share that my grass is growing.

I've been using Twitter for awhile now and I must confess that in reading other people tweets, what I've found is that a whole lot of people have a whole lot of time on their hands and want me to know that they are enjoying a cup of coffee somewhere or that they're stuck in traffic (and tweeting this important information while they're driving…hmm, I see a new traffic law coming).

It also does not seem to be two-way communication but rather a narcissistic "Look at me and what I'm doing." I very rarely see anyone respond or comment on others tweets, they just keep telling others about themselves.


I kept thinking, “Maybe I am stone-age stupid, I don’t get this.”

Well, this week I read a Reuters report - "Today's Twitters are often tomorrow's quitters" The article reports data that questions the long-term success of the latest social networking sensation used by celebrities from Oprah Winfrey to Britney Spears. President Obama used Twitter during last year's campaign.

Sounds like the new wave, but data from Nielsen Online, which measures Internet traffic, found that more than 60 percent of Twitter users stopped using the free social networking site a month after joining.

"Twitter's audience retention rate, or the percentage of a given month's users who come back the following month, is currently about 40 percent," David Martin, Nielsen Online's vice president of primary research, said in a statement. "For most of the past 12 months, pre-Oprah, Twitter has languished below 30 percent retention."

It has enjoyed a recent explosion in popularity on the back of celebrities such as actor Ashton Kutcher and Oprah Winfrey singing its praises and sending out "tweets" which can alert readers to breaking news or the sender's sometimes mundane activities.

Twitter does not disclose the number of its users but according to Nielsen Online, Twitter's website had more than 7 million unique visitors in February this year compared to 475,000 in February a year ago. But Martin said a retention rate of 40 percent will limit a site's growth to a 10 percent reach figure over the longer term.

"There simply aren't enough new users to make up for defecting ones after a certain point," he said in a statement. Martin said Facebook and MySpace, the more established social network sites, enjoyed retention rates that were twice as high and those rates only rose when they went through their explosive growth phases. Both currently have retention rates of about 70 percent with Facebook having about 200 million users.

"Twitter has enjoyed a nice ride over the last few months, but it will not be able to sustain its meteoric rise without establishing a higher level of user loyalty," said Martin.

My conclusions so far:

Starting out on twitter is like using a spoon to carve a steak. It might work but you need more utensils to work effectively. I have discovered that there are a great many tools out there to make Twitter more effective, like Twellow, Twellowhood, Tweetstat,Twitterfriends, Twitpwr, Twtpic, TweetBeep and more. But you need the time and desire to learn how to use each of them to get the most out of Twitter.

Twitter is a fad. It's great for celebrities, but don't for a minute think that they are following you back. Okay, I confess that I do want to have a million adoring fans following ME, just like Oprah, hanging on my every thought to make their lives more complete and then rushing out to buy
my book, PUSHING WATER UPHILL With A Rake.

But back in the real world I have no illusions that if I am following 5,000 people and don’t have time to read their comings and goings that they are all going to be actually following me or caring about what I’m doing or not doing.

I think Twitter might have value if used in conjunction with other networking media. Successful internet networking needs to be more related to personal networking and less about chatter. I have found success with smaller sub-groups on twitter that have shared values and geography, like
Denver Twitter Connection. These types of groups are twittering within twitter much like groups on Facebook.

So for now, I’m not a Twitter Quitter, but I’m certainly not a fan.

What Do You Think? Please share your comments. You too can tell me I'm stuck in stone age stupid, just tell me why.




















10 comments:

Mike Hanbery said...

Steve, this is a wonderfully written article and you're certainly not alone in your assertion but I think perhaps a bit too short-sighted and limited in scope. Twitter is being used more broadly than you give it credit and it has recently launched some business-oriented initiatives that may cement its profit model--something with which every player in this nascent industry struggles--and move the product beyond "fad." In the next 24 months this industry will experience consolidation, shakeout and a move toward standardization. Twitter may change but it's brand is too strong within the market to just disappear.

Jim Hemphill said...

I agree with your comments about twitter as a communication medium. A
consideration might be what is the twitterer's purpose?

If one were pushing to extend their celebrity or political status and wanted
to get a hundred different little messages out with little effort to large
groups of people, each message having the potential to engage a few people
each, why not use massive broadcasts using twitter? Little work per contact
by the twitterer, with even a single contact justifying the success. What a
great momentum leveraging tool - not necessarily for establishing the
momentum but for leveraging the momentum once it is started.

Now add blogs - as you have active and I am seriously considering. Blogs
have the potential through key words to attract at lease "glances" at the
content from a large number of perhaps similarly interested parties and for
every 100 glances (who knows the real number) if the blog has even a little
content value, at least a couple of blog readers will engage to any of a
series of degrees. Will that random various depth engagement establish the
blogger as the "leader" or "head" of an intelligence? I don't know.

Jim Hemphill

President & CEO
Integral Computing Corporation
6203 Lions Point, Littleton, Colorado 80124
720/810-2234
jimhemphill@integralcomputing.us
www.integralcomputing.us

David Sandusky said...

The data and your perspective are what makes this a great post for discussion.

The fact of the matter is that people who have an offline networking strategy and add value have success, those who don't fail. Online too. People tend to network when in time of need...need a job, need a client, need funding...and as soon as they don't get what they are looking for, they give up. Many people don't play in the right sandbox either.

Have you ever been to a offline networking event where new people show up twice, say the wrong thing, leave and complain that networking does not work?

On and offline tribes tend to expand and contract. The contraction, like twitter and others, is a good thing for those of us who are thanked for adding value and see a return on time investment. I love how my twitter network works and don't care about the rest - the same people play and it grows with actual business getting done! Chat rooms like #brandchat and #smbiz are great examples for me. Here are some summaries as well as an examle of leverage:
http://www.yourbrandplan.com/forum/networking-connecting/

__________________

Pat said...

Hi Steve. I agree with you, I don't get the attraction to Twitter - at least in a business sense. I haven't tried it and don't plan to. I'll let others in our company use Twitter if they so desire.

Pat

Kevin said...

Like yourself, I’ve had problems buying into Twitter. All I see it doing long term is being just another way for advertising to find its way into my attention – which is all I’ve really used if for. But right now, it’s one of those things people are afraid to *not* do, as everyone else appears to be doing it. Thanks for letting people know it’s OK to be a caveman.

Cheers,
Kevin

Dave Brinks said...

YOU CAN CALL ME "STONE AGE STUPID", I'M NON-TWITTER, THEREFORE NOT A QUITTER, BUT,GIVE ME A DRIVER AND I'M A LONG BALL HITTER!!!

Dave Brinks

Mitchell Ashley said...

I've twittered for probably a year and a half or more I'd guess. I thought of it as an interesting hobby, trying it out to see what happened.

I gave up on following everyone who followed me as I just didn't have time to read everything, but different groups (informal) of twitters started to form; security professionals, social media leaders, and entrepreneurs. Tweets from news media, like Computer World, Network World, ZDnet, CNN and others became useful too. I also enjoy hearing social commentary people offer, about politics, news events, the latest movie, travel, etc. I call Fridays Twitter Travel Day because so many people are twittering about the travel to get home from the week.

When I realized I got a lot of value from Twitter was when I went to a security conference and met in person many of the people I'd followed (and some I'd replied to) on Twitter. It was really odd but when I met the person, I felt like I already knew them; did the kids change school, did the kitchen remodel get done, did you find a consultant for that project, I can recommend a product that might work for you, ... everything from social to work related things. I already knew most of these people, it was great!

People think too hard about what twitter is and how to use it. Just follow it for a while, comment if you feel like it, and see if you get into it.

My $0.02

Mitchell
http://theconvergingnetwork.com
http://www.nww.com/community/ashley
http://guitartropolis.com

Mike Dooley said...

I used to say, the only thing that should produce "twitter" is a bird-brain. Then I observed some real-time political and social events, and how news had reached my social contacts in Europe before reaching me in California (the plane in the Hudson river). Got me to thinking, that a tool like Twitter has its place, though severely hampered with bad "signal to noise" ratio. Those who develop the skills to apply the band-pass filters available in the app (or aftermarket add-ons thereto) make pretty successful use of the beast. I can see application of similar technology in emergency response networking, for instance, if properly secured from the excess drivel.

Juanita said...

Maybe you are not doing it right? My followers interact with me. I don't follow celebs (in bulk) They will not interact any more than they would with a stalker. A news agency will not either those are one way. You did not give it a try it has its uses. And I have let it grow on me. I do not tweet that I am drinking coffee. Unless it is an extremely GREAT! cup of coffee ;-) follow me @jchronowski47

Steve Hearn said...

That's MY cartoon you have there! Please credit me if you are to use my work, www.pencildreams.com or catch me on Twitter as drawn4u